Wednesday, July 27, 2011

More death

The tragic deaths around me seem to keep coming.

I've just learned this morning that an incredible athlete and hero to many has died. Apparently he called 911 to tell police he was going to shoot himself, and then did so before anyone could arrive to help.

This guy seemed to have everything going for him and have a dream life. He was also sexually abused as a child, among other personal life tragedies. He had spoken out publicly about his abuse to help other children. Everything I've read about him seems to show he was a really good, nice man. A friend who has met him confirms that. I had the opportunity to watch him compete live once, and it was truly incredible. He was only 29 at the time of his death. Alcoholism and other addictions were also a major factor. :(

RIP Jeret "Speedy" Peterson. The world is saddened to have lost you so soon.


http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/07/27/utah.skier.peterson/

1 comment:

  1. Abuse and addiction are SOOO hard to overcome. I know I still have moments where I wish I could pull the trigger, and I didn't have it so bad. It is sad when someone throws their life away because they think it won't get better ever.

    ReplyDelete