Saturday, August 27, 2011

Silly class assignment

I've started school this week. In one of my classes we had to write an "alpha poem" about ourselves, which means a poem where each line uses the next letter of the alphabet. I hadn't written any poetry in quite a while, and I was surprised by how quickly this came to me. The whole time I was writing it I kept thinking, "I really hope I'm not required to share this. This is getting way too personal!" Not to mention I'd already cried once in class when introducing myself bc the prof asked why I didn't have an address listed on my info form and I had to explain that I'm kinda homeless. (It may have worked to my advantage though...may have found a roommate through a friend of a classmate). Anyway...I kept thinking I would be ok writing it as long as I didn't have to read it out loud. Then the prof calls time and asks if anyone wants to share what they wrote. Turns out I was one of the only ones that had finished the whole assignment, and no one was willing to share what they'd written. The prof kept asking and for some reason I volunteered. I'm weird about poetry...it gets really personal for me and I hate to share it but yet I feel like it's not fully written until it's been shared. I got a little teary as I read it but managed to get through. The class seemed pretty impressed and one classmate even said that it was "a hard act to follow." So..just for fun...here it is for ya'll. (btw I also explained to my class that this is related to my transition and being between houses. They of course aren't aware that it's about a lot more in my head.)

Anxious
But building bravery
Caring
Devoted
Experiencing life.
Facing obstacles.
Where am I Going?
Hungry for more.
In transition
Joking often
Keep serious inside
Living and loving
Making a difference
Not sure where to,
Or even where from.
Possibly lost
Questioning much
Reaching out
Separate selves surviving. Finding strength.
Testing the waters
Undertaking challenges
Vital decisions
Willing to try
EXtreme adventures,
Yield amazing results.
ZIP! ZAP! ZOWIE!

No comments:

Post a Comment