Friday, December 30, 2011

Really, Universe?

Skipped my meeting tonight because I really really need to do laundry. I'm super tired having not slept much in the last couple of nights so it took me a while to get everything together but finally did. Got it in the machine only to find that the water that was supposed to be turned off in the building until 6pm is still off (at 8:30). That means I also can't cook dinner, can't take the shower that I really need, and my work clothes will continue to stink. Plus i'm out of clean underwear. (Ok maybe that's tmi). Except now it's not just dirty...it's soapy too and I can't even rinse it.

In other fun news I'm being chased by a debt collector for hospital bills. I honestly had no idea these bills existed. I was under the impression that because I was unemployed and homeless and my hospitalization was forced/emergency that they wouldn't bill me for it. Actually I had expected some bill but it had been so long that I figured it really was nothing. Apparently it's something but because i was listed as homeless they had nowhere to mail the bill. Ironically they said that the hospital was unable to find me, even though i've been going to the clinic, which is at that very hospital, almost every day for a long time now. That's why I figured if they'd wanted to bill me they would've.

I spoke to the collector guy on wednesday. I said I was going to look in to it a bit more (cus I wanted to talk to the clinic people) and he said for me to call him thursday. I called him multiple times thursday (it's an 800 number with lots of extensions) and got a busy signal. Wtf? A busy signal for the entire 800 number? They called me while I was working on thursday and left another message with a new extension but the same phone number. But I still can't get through to the phone number. I'm worried about what might happen now because they have my information. I gave them my address, so I guess we'll see. It's not a huge amount as far as hospital bills go, but it's more than I have. I have a whole list of what I need to buy as I start getting paid from work, and now it's apparently all going to go to medical bills. Ugh. I really have no idea what to do about this.

So for now i'm going to bed and setting my alarm for super early to start my laundry...and hopefully shower. Ugh. I had some popcorn for dinner...I guess that counts. I was planning a better meal but I can't even go with a just add water option. Grrrrrr.

----------

But I guess I should be grateful that I'm sitting here having this problem. A person who goes to the AA club where I met my sponsor was caught in an armed robbery today (it was in the store where he works). He was shot twice and is in the hospital. He's going to live but it sounds like it was pretty bad. Scary how fast things can change and be taken away. I guess laundry problems aren't THAT big of a deal.

2 comments:

  1. Call the hospital and make arrangements with them. If you can prove you income (or lack of) they will zero out your hospital debt. If it's from the doctor's visits, you can make SMALL payments to them without ruining your credit.

    Happy New Year. I pray that it's a year of sobriety and happiness for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't use all of your paychecks to pay the hospital. You can make small, $5-10 a month payments. I agree to call and negotiate for a lower bill.

    I hope you got your laundry done by now. LOL

    ReplyDelete