Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wow

Ever had one of those moments where you're listening to a song you've heard a million times before, but suddenly it has incredible new meaning? I had one of those moments today. It's on a Christmas CD of mine, so I hear it every year around the holidays. This year, due to everything going on, the lyrics hit me in a whole new way. It was really incredible to listen to.

Go here for the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOp4NAq6EHI

Here are the lyrics:


Better Days, Goo Goo Dolls


And you asked me what I want this year
and I try to make this kind and clear
just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
'cause I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
and designer love and empty things
just a chance that maybe we'll find better days

So take these words and sing out loud
'cause everyone is forgiven now
'cause tonight's the night the world begins again

I need some place simple where we could live
and something only you can give
and that's faith and trust and peace while we're alive
and the one poor child who saved this world
and there's ten million more who probably could
if we all just stopped and said a prayer for them

So take these words and sing out loud
'cause everyone is forgiven now
'cause tonight's the night the world begins again

I wish everyone was loved tonight
and somehow stop this endless fight
just a chance that maybe we'll find better days

So take these words and sing out loud
'cause everyone is forgiven now
'cause tonight's the night the world begins again

'cause tonight's the night the world begins again

------

How incredible is that?! No "boxes wrapped in string and designer love and empty things" for me...just a chance for better days. I can't imagine anything I want more than just that chance...that hope for the future and better things to come. And for the first time in god knows how long, that chance feels like it could be real.

Then further on....some place simple where we could live...faith and trust and peace while we're alive. Really...what more could I ask for?

And I absolutely love love LOVE the line: "the one poor child that saved this world, and 10 million more who probably could, if we all just stopped and said a prayer for them." How amazing is that thought? Any child out there could grow up to be the next great hero for the world...any one of them can do incredible things...but only if we give them our attention and give them a chance.

I also love: "I wish everyone was loved tonight, and somehow stop this endless fight." If only....

I've always loved this song, but I put the CD on tonight and these words just leapt out at me. I dropped everything when it came on, closed my eyes and just felt it move through me. It was a really incredible moment. Maybe it's because now I actually have hope for the future, so there's added beauty to this song because it feels so much more real. Regardless, I think I need to make a point of listening to it at least once a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment