Thursday, January 12, 2012

Truce

So apparently the universe misunderstood on New Years when I attempted to call a truce.

Last night my car was broken in to. Ugh.

I started off today feeling pretty good. I was all set to head to my dr's appt and then had lots of errands planned for afterwards...only to come outside to find one of my car's windows smashed in. The weird part is that very little was actually stolen. They left my camera and CD's behind. The one obvious thing missing was the jack.

I was walking around the car to check for other damage and saw something silver and shiny on the ground behind the car. I picked it up because it looked important. I eventually realized that it was a lugnut, but all my wheels had theirs. As I was joking about how the thief must've had a flat tire to steal the jack, I thought to check the spare tire. One lug nut gone, one significantly loosened. So I just have to laugh. I thought I was kidding about the flat tire thing, but it appears the thief took the jack and was half way to getting the spare too. Alcohol had to have been involved in this situation. As upset as I am, I really really wish I could've been a fly on the wall to this whole operation, or seen video of it or something!

Even more entertaining, the glove box was ripped out and all the console stuff scattered everywhere. Ok that in and of itself isn't entertaining. What is, is that the jack in my car is very hard to find. It's hard enough to find that I had it in the shop a while back and the shop guys couldn't even find it. So, perhaps the thieves had to dig out the manual in order to find the jack to attempt to change their tire with my spare! lol Again just can't help but laugh to picture it.

Of course when it happened I wasn't laughing. I went on a big ole rant to myself about how "damnit, I've already lost everything once and now I have to lose stuff in my car! I can't have a dishwasher (dishwasher in temp apt is broken and they're taking their sweet time to fix it) or a microwave (they were supposed to order me one but again taking their sweet time) or now even a car that I can actually use!" Funny how being pissed about one thing brings out everything else you're pissed about! I'm proud of myself though. I got over my rant pretty quickly, and was able to think logically about what needed to be done. I called the police (who basically said "ok, that's nice..."), I talked to my apt. manager to file a report with them, and I called my insurance. My insurance set up an appointment for the mobile glass service people to come out and fix my window. They said they'd come sometime between 12 and 5 (it was a little before 11 by this point) so I was pretty much stuck at home for the day.

In a perfect world I would've used this extra time to clean, do laundry, make phone calls, etc. that I've been needing to do. Realistically, I think my brain was pretty well done at this point. I'd persevered and done all the stuff I had to do to take care of business, and now I needed to just chill. I spent most of the rest of the day watching tv and playing computer games, but at least I didn't flip out and I didn't drink. (When I talked to my sponsor later and told her this story she was very proud of me for how well I reacted and that I didn't drink. That was fun to hear. :).

Of course the glass ppl didn't come until 4:59, and only because I yelled at them. When I called at about 4:30 because I was getting nervous they said "oh we'll be there at about 5:30 or 6." Haha no. I stood up for myself and said I have to get to work, you told me you'd be here before 5 and i've been sitting at home waiting for you all day. I really did need to get to my volunteer job. Thankfully they were able to rush someone out who got it done very quickly and i was able to get to volunteering.

Anyway, the moral to all this is that I have more shittiness to add to my shit list, but I continue to get better in my ability to handle things. I'm not going to say anything along the lines of what's next, or what else could go wrong, because I know better than to tempt the universe further. I will say that I seem to have become an expert at decluttering. Amazing what a little asbestos and theft can do in that department! lol

The one sad thing that I realized later is that they took the toy that I had bought for my baby nephew. I had been putting together a package for him, but most of what I was planning to send ended up in asbestos-land. Pretty much all that was left was the toy. The toy was a little bulky though and was going to be hard to ship, so I think i'm going to give up on the care package idea and just order the toy online and have it sent to them. I've been doing a lot of praying for whoever it was who did this. If alcohol was behind this, as I imagine it was, I've been praying that this person will be able to get the help he needs. AA says often to pray for the alcoholic still suffering so I am following that logic. Any alcoholic could get to doing all sorts of stupid shit if they don't get help. So I'm praying that my thief/thieves get help. I'm also praying for help out of whatever desperate situation they might be finding themselves that would cause them to go to such levels. And finally I'm also praying/hoping that there is a child out there who is happily playing with my nephew's toy. Maybe they just needed it more.

I'm not sure why, but while I started out feeling anger towards the thief and the situation, I now just feel sad for them. Of course I'm not real excited about my $200 window replacement bill, but I'm glad i'm not in a position where I feel like I need to do something like that. I'm grateful that I have my basic needs met, and that I'm sober tonight rather than drunk and lost out there in the cold. I think this is the first time I've been able to say it and mean it, that I'm grateful to be sober.

1 comment:

  1. I see you finally got around to updating yesterday. LOL. I am so glad you were able to handle things without drinking or anything else. I really like how you say that maybe they needed it more. It is not easy to take that point of view when things like this happen. I hope today is a good day for you.

    Nightaura

    ReplyDelete