Saturday, January 14, 2012

Better

Don't have much to say tonight, except that today was a much better day than yesterday. As much as my job stresses me out sometimes, I really do like my Saturdays. Saturdays are different because I have my little ski team kiddos that come each week. I have a group of five 5 and 6 year olds, and today was the 2nd week i've skied with them. The kids are just fun. I think I might've mentioned it here, but last week they helped me discover my laughter again and made me laugh so hard I fell over. There hasn't been a lot of real laughter in my life, but if anyone can bring that it's 5 year olds. As annoying as they can be sometimes they can also be incredibly funny.

Last week was a little stressful because it was forming the groups, getting to know the kids, and also doing a lot of the beginner type stuff that's just hard to make all that exciting. To a kid it just feels like work because it's repetitive, and then they get bored/frustrated/grumpy/whatever else. This morning started that way too but I finally got them on the lift and doing some more fun stuff and they were SO excited. They went from barely wanting to be there to completely forgetting about our afternoon hot chocolate break. It makes my job so much better when they're excited and begging to ski more rather than whining about when they get to go home. Also I was so proud of my kiddos because they did awesome on the harder hills from the chairlift. I watched a lot of other classes really struggling but mine skied it like rock stars. I felt redeemed too for keeping them on the easier ("boring") stuff longer, to make sure they were ready for the challenge.

I have to brag a little bit here. I'm realizing I'm really good at what I do. I should be...this is my 6th winter doing it after all...but it still feels good to realize. In the sense of what runs they've skied my class may not be improving as fast as the others, but I can see the skills they're developing and I know it's all happening safely and in a way that will develop good habits for later.

I also got to thinking today how every year I've worked a program like this (the last 2 before this one) I've always had a really good group. I was thinking I was just lucky, which is part of it, but I've had some tough kids in there. I think my groups have been good because I've known how to make them good and taken the time to do so. I'm pretty good at getting kids excited to learn something, teaching them, getting them to work together, dealing with discipline type issues, etc. etc. as well as generally being liked by kids. I've turned very challenging groups in to great groups. That's why I like the week to week programs like this, rather then the random kids there for the day classes.


Ok that was a lot of rambling on something that probably no one but me is interested in. But I just have to celebrate having a good day and realizing I'm good at something. The more I felt good about what I was doing, the happier I became. I actually got smiley and was starting conversations with random other employees and just generally enjoying myself. A HUGE difference from yesterday when I felt so disgusting I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror much less have a conversation with anyone. At the end of the lesson day I got to take a few runs on my own. I think skiing is really good for me because it's absolute freedom. After so many years of teaching I'm as comfortable on skis as I am walking, so it's like I can just fly down the mountain. I get to go up to the top of the lift and enjoy a beautiful mountain view, and then cruise down the hill, leaving my cares behind for at least those few minutes. It doesn't always work, but usually no matter what else is going on I squeeze at least a few moments of bliss in there. (It's the lift rides back up that get to me...too much thinking time! lol).

Ok gotta stop this rambling no one cares about. I'm just so glad to have had a better day. I'm grateful for my job and the opportunity I have to ski. Skiing is not an easy sport to get in to so I was very very lucky that I've had the opportunity to do so.

1 comment: